On the move

Hey everybody. I moved my blog onto my new website. You can find it here.

By greenguy188

Working with Concept Art

I thought I should make a separate post for two of the sets that I built last year at uni and that is featured in my new show reel. The task was to take any type concept art or movie/game set, build it in Maya and render it in CryEngine. Well I am not really a fame artist, so I took the sets and rendered them properly in Arnold.

My first set is based on concept art by Pene Menn. I loved the look and mood of the piece. It was very difficult to match the proportions, I only had one perspective to work with. But I am very happy with the result:

Pene Menn Concept Art

Concept Art by PENE MENN


My 3D interpretation of it

My second set was taken from the game “RYSE: SON OF ROME”. I loved roman architecture that was captured beautifully in that villa. The game set and the concept art are a little different from each other, so I mixed them a little to get the most interesting result.


This is the concept art from the game


And this my interpretation of it.

By greenguy188

Not a Monday, but still…

Hey everybody, I broke my own rule during the last three weeks but I was super busy preparing for my internship application. Below you can see the result of that work my (almost) most recent showreel:

In a few weeks, when the term is over, I will be able to add some more awesome shots.

By greenguy188

It is Monday again

Time for another blog post. For my set design assignment I built a pair of lighthouses. They are going to be very close to camera, so I am also putting a lot of work into textures. Here are some AO renders before that is done.


By greenguy188

Blog Post Mondays

Hey everybody!

It is Monday, time for a blog post. From now on I will make this a regular thing, just to keep myself posting. It is going to be concepts, work in progress and finished artwork. Today it is some WIP from our current assignment at uni. In our groups, we have to build a city that would fit into a Game of Thrones type environment. Here are some AO renders of my current progress.




By greenguy188

Back on set

I have recently teamed up with some fellow students from the film production course to shoot another short film. This one is very VFX heavy and is supposed to provide me with enough opportunities to create an awesome showreel for next year. Pete Ramsay played the main character brilliantly, so prepare to be blown away 🙂

Pete on Camera

By greenguy188

Something about my heart

This summer I directed, shot, edited and created the VFX for Michael Bhugaloo´s Song “Something about my heart”. The song is supporting cancer research, all the proceeds go to Cancer Research UK. You can find Michael here.


We shot two days on a Canon T2i and with a lot of improvised equipment, for example I utilized the video light I built last year.  However, a DSLR isn´t really the ideal camera for shooting greenscreen footage, but we worked with what we had.

StageWe wanted to put Michael on a big stage in front of a huge audience. So for the long shots, I used Maya to build a stage and create fog with a fluid container. I built two seperate particle systems: one for the confetti and one for the audience.

Shot52_SlideshowThe footage for the audience was shot in front of greensceen and then placed onto the instances of the particle system. The scenes were rendered with Arnold and composited in Nuke.

GreenscreenCrowdWe only had eight people available for the crowd shots, so we dressed them up differently and that allowed me to duplicate them better. Even Michael is part of the audience. If you look closely, you will find him.


For the close up shots, I mainly used stock footage for the fog. I also created some generic shots of falling confetti in Maya, that I could place wherever I wanted.


The idea for the Heart Monitor was, that Michaels heart would make the beat of the song and cause the lines of the monitor to move like audio waveform. I created the monitor animation in After Effects and comped it onto the monitor in Nuke.

StageLongShotIt was a great thing that I went on vacation in Cornwall where I photographed the most beautiful evening skies. I placed them all over the music video.

By greenguy188

Always working

It seems like a while since I posted something on my blog. I am trying to learn a few new tools at the moment and that´s why the actual creating falls a bit short. But I am working on a few nice things and I hope I can put something on here soon. Meanwhile I thought I post an image of my animated short. I already posted a render of a bathroom and this is another set, the living room. The modeling is pretty much done, it does not have any textures yet, but it already looks like something.

LivingRoomCompleteI am also working on a lot of concepts and scripts at the moment, so hopefully I will be able to post some really cool stuff soon. My very next project is actually a music  video for Michael Bhugaloo. See you soon!

By greenguy188

Term 2 Assignment

For term 2 we had to model the robots we designed in term 1 and make a poster with them. This is what came out:

FINAL POSTERAgain we had to render in Mental Ray, but the results aren´t too bad. I created the textures in Mudbox and Mari. In a few days I will make a turntable render for the robot in Arnold.

By greenguy188

On Fire Again

I feel quite confident with creating raging fire, but I had some problems creating a small, calm camp fire type fire. So I worked on some camp fire simulation and this is the result. I am quite happy with it. This is obviously for a very bright daytime situation. For darker lighting it would need to be more blown out.


By greenguy188